The Vietnamese-speaking Community Outreach Specialist will be responsible for promoting Hamkae Center’s services & outreach programs and providing those services directly or as a translator to Vietnamese American residents of Northern Virginia.
The service & outreach programs include N-400 (citizenship) application and process assistance; healthcare insurance application assistance (including Medicaid/FAMIS, Affordable Care Act/Obamacare, CHAP); public healthcare referrals; Financial Services and small business counseling; and flu/COVID-19 vaccine promotion.
Outreach and Community Education (35%)
- Conduct direct outreach (small businesses, grocery stores, language schools, faith institutions, etc.) to promote services & outreach programs
- Identify and secure opportunities to represent Hamkae Center at community events
- Identify and maintain community relationships (individuals, organizations, businesses, faith intuitions, etc.)
- Maintain appropriate records of outreach and engagement interactions
- Develop community education and outreach resources in Vietnamese as needed
- Communicate trends identified as a result of outreach and community education to appropriate staff
Service Provision (50%)
- Provide front-line community member support by giving general information and service provision (after training) through telephone, email, and in-person communications. This may require interpretation and translation for a colleague
- Refer internally and externally for services
- Maintain appropriate records of service provision, including community member feedback
- Attend “all staff” and team meetings as appropriate
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of Hamkae Center team
- Track time to ensure appropriate assignment to c3, c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Provide data for reports
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English and Vietnamese
- Strong and adaptable verbal and written communicator
- Relationship-oriented: confident and skilled in starting new conversations and relationships across different experiences
- Information management: Can communicate relevant information and appropriately connect community members to staff
- Detail-oriented: values accuracy and consistency in their work
- Enjoys learning and is excited to try something new
- Flexibility to changing external environment-such as last-minute cancellations, changes to public programs, and impromptu outreach opportunities
- Proficient or can quickly learn how to use digital programs such as Google Forms and Microsoft Word, and use technology to communicate, such as Zoom and text
- Lives in or close to Northern Virginia
- Driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle
- Can work occasional weekends and evenings
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic, and racial justice. A belief in a community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together
- 1-2 years of community outreach or marketing experience
- Experience working with Asian Americans in Northern Virginia
- Professional fluency in Vietnamese
Location: Annandale and Centreville, VA
Job Type: part-time (20-25 hours/week)
Reports to: Services and Outreach Team Lead or Public Health Program Coordinator (Services and Outreach Team)
Pay + Benefits: $22/hour. Vacation and sick days (if you, a partner, or a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close December 25 – January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
To Apply Applications are closed. Email your resume that includes your level of Vietnamese language proficiency to Miae Bok (email@example.com) with the subject “Community Outreach Specialist – Vietnamese” AS SOON AS POSSIBLE for immediate hire. Supplementary: submit up to 2 paragraphs about why this position interests you.
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York), and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People from a wide range of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.