The NLC (New Leaders Collective) Internship provides an opportunity for four (4) individuals aged 17-24 years old in Virginia to partake in grassroots activism and organizing, and support the ongoing campaigns and projects on education equity for Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities. Through firsthand involvement in local organizing, outreach, and personal research projects, students will develop their organizing skills and a deeper understanding of the education equity movement nationally and in Virginia.
The internship seeks to:
- Introduce students to education equity issues that impact a variety of AAPI communities – including immigrant and undocumented communities, low-income and working class residents, and multilingual and low-English speakers
- Develop participants’ strategic outreach and organizing skills
- Develop participants’ research and communication skills
- Contribute positively to the efforts of community groups working towards education equity through community outreach and information gathering
- Promote the next generation of AAPI organizers and changemakers
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated interest, knowledge, and/or background in the major issues facing the Asian American & Pacific Islander community, including immigrant, low-income, working class, and linguistically marginalized communities
- Strong commitment to social, economic, racial, and gender justice, education equity, community organizing and building power of underrepresented Asian communities
- Works well in a challenging environment both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize and problem solve efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy
- Takes initiative, has excellent oral and written communication and time management skills
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback in an advocacy setting, and translate learned theory into practice
- Effectively empathize and build intentional relationships with community members, partners, and organizations
- Access to a computer and internet to attend virtual meetings and complete online tasks, and reliable transportation to attend in-person activities (depending on COVID-19)
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Bilingual in an Asian language
- Experience with Canva, graphic design, and/or social media
- Based in Northern Virginia
Location: Virtual (preference is for people based in Northern Virginia), with mandatory virtual meetings and other in-person activities as needed
Job Type: internship
Duration: June 20 – August 19, 2022 (9 weeks total)
Hours: 15 hours/week
Applicants MUST be available for the entire duration of the program as this is an intensive, collaborative program. To ensure the safety of everyone in the program, participants are expected to follow Hamkae Center’s COVID-19 safety procedures.
- Short essay (1 page maximum) answering:
- Why are you interested in this internship?
- What does Hamkae Center’s values and mission mean to you?
- What does education equity for Asian Americans look like to you?
For priority consideration, apply by 11:50pm on May 20, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the program reaches capacity.
About Hamkae Center
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York) and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.