The Health Services Coordinator at Hamkae Center will primarily work on leading our health services program, including signing community members up for health insurance during open enrollment periods (Medicaid / Affordable Care Act (ACA) / CHAP).
Outside of the open enrollment period, job duties will include answering questions and enrolling eligible people in the ACA through special enrollment as needed, connecting non-eligible community members to alternative coverage options or local health care services, coordinating outreach to local communities to promote Hamkae Center programming, and supporting Hamkae Center staff in achieving organizational goals. Although Hamkae Center staff are currently working remotely, this position may include some in-office clerical work and paperwork processing to meet the individual needs of our community members.
Health Services Navigation and Coordination (65%)
- Conducting outreach and education around health benefit programs (ACA, Medicaid, FAMIS, CHAP, etc.) for Asian American communities in Virginia
- Enrolling eligible individuals in ACA insurance and other benefits programs, and connecting non-eligible members with alternative programs and services
- Developing and maintaining relationships with community members, local community services providers, and other navigators locally and statewide
- Participating in required meetings and trainings
- Collecting, reporting, and evaluating accurate data on outreach and service activities
- Working with the Organizing team and Services and Outreach team to advance organizational goals, and build strength, support, and trust with community members
Staff Support (15%)
- Supervising and supporting 2 part-time Outreach Specialists
- Assisting specialists with identifying, planning, and executing outreach opportunities in the Northern Virginia area, with a focus in Prince William County
- Attend weekly staff meetings and regular Service & Outreach Team meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of Hamkae Center team
- Carefully track time and communications to ensure appropriate assignment to c3 or c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Being a thought partner to Team Leads and Director on new programming/campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together
- Bilingual in English and Korean (spoken). Plus: read/write Korean fluently
- Experience (personal or professional) OR familiarity with health insurance and affordability programs (including, but not limited to: Medicaid, FAMIS, ACA, and private coverage)
- Experience working one-on-one in a service provision or individual support setting
- Strong communication skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills; can make complex information accessible and understandable for a variety of individuals and life experiences
- Learner-mindset: open to learning and trying new experiences; solutions-oriented; flexible problem-solver
- Collaborative: works well with others or in a team and has experience managing staff; can work well with internal and external partners
- Organized: Self-motivated and able to develop and move projects forward; create, track and meet deadlines; strategically set and report goals; manage multiple cases simultaneously
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Access to stable internet connection for remote work
Location: Annandale and Centreville, VA
Job Type: full-time
Reports to: Services & Outreach Team Lead
Salary + Benefits: $40-45K (negotiable; commensurate w/ experience). Full health, dental, and vision insurance. Also, paid time off, vacation, sick days (if you, a partner, a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close December 25 – January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
Email your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, “Hamkae Center Health Services Coordinator” AS SOON AS POSSIBLE for immediate hire.
Supplementary: submit cover letter or up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.
About Hamkae Center
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York), and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People from a wide range of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.