This summer, Virginians will vote in the primary elections to determine which House of Representatives candidates will be on the ballot in November. This chance to participate in democracy is important, as it allows voters to choose the candidates who they feel best represent their interests. Every voter’s voice deserves to be heard.
Hamkae Center is hiring a part-time Field Captain to assist the Field Coordinator with training and supervising our team of spring canvassers. The Field Captain will work with and report to the Field Coordinator to oversee phonebanking and texting activities, implement voter engagement campaigns to educate voters, and promote voter turnout. The ideal candidate will be a responsible, highly organized, and detail-oriented person who has good communication skills and thrives on connecting with others.
- Assist Field Coordinator with phonebanking and texting activities, such as helping train, supervise, and motivate a team of part time canvassers and volunteers
- Monitor and coach each team member to ensure they are following proper procedures, scripts, and guidelines while carrying out field activities
- Coordinate canvassing shifts, distribute materials, and ensure strict adherence to the required COVID-19 protocols.
- Drive the execution of our field program through continual leadership training, performance management, and process improvement.
- Support the Field Coordinator in troubleshooting technology issues
- Assist Field Coordinator with data entry, using VAN as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Mission alignment: a belief in the community’s ability to support each other, organize, and achieve desired goals together
- Coaching orientation: works well with others; takes the time to teach and offer useful and actionable feedback, makes sure people feel their efforts are appreciated; expects that people will make mistakes and sees those as opportunities for learning
- Communication and relationship building: strong verbal communication skills; able to connect with individuals across diverse and marginalized populations; quick to offer solutions in the face of obstacles
- Project management skills: stays on top of multiple projects; anticipates obstacles; tracks and meets deadlines
- Follow Through: self-motivated to stay on top of all specific tasks, follow-up items, and general areas of work; consistently meets deadlines
- Flexibility: pushes work forward through obstacles; adapts quickly as things change
- Ability to think strategically with strong attention to detail: ensures all external communication is appropriate for the given situation
- Quick/enthusiastic learner: learns how to use and set up different platforms; open to learning and trying new experiences
- Comfortable with numbers and technology
- Ability to work on some weekends and some evenings
Plus / Preferred (but not required):
- Bilingual in English and one of these Asian languages: Korean, Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, Arabic
- Familiarity with VAN, ThruTalk, ThruText, and other civic engagement tools
- Prior experience with campaign field work and team management
Duration: March 28 – June 21, 2022; accepted candidate will start immediately if start date has passed
Job Type: part-time
Hours: 25 hrs/week
To Apply Applications are closed. Email your resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, “Hamkae Center PT Field Captain” by March 7, 2022 for priority consideration. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis after the priority deadline has passed. Please indicate on your resume if you are bilingual in an Asian language (and, if so, your level of proficiency).
About Hamkae Center
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York), and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People from a wide range of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.