This summer, Virginians will vote in the primary elections to determine which House of Representatives candidates will be on the ballot in November. This chance to participate in democracy is important, as it allows voters to choose the candidates who they feel most represent their interests. Every voter’s voice deserves to be heard.
Hamkae Center is hiring four (4) part-time canvassers to educate the electorate about the June 2022 primary elections. As part of our Civic Engagement Team, canvassers will make direct contact with voters across Virginia through phone calls and text messages, and will provide voters with important non-partisan voting information.
Ideal candidates will be organized, detail-oriented, and independent team players with good listening skills and who thrive on connecting with others.
- Effectively inform community members about important voting information and deadlines through remote phonebanking and texting
- Use technology to ensure accurate and timely data entry
- Complete daily and weekly reports on progress to goal for all metrics
- Represent Hamkae Center with professionalism and ethical conduct
- Successfully complete required training & follow all required COVID-19 safety protocols
- Other duties as assigned, as related to the success of the civic engagement campaign
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks in a team setting
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Able to use a computer and learn how to use different apps and platforms for voter contact (e.g. ThruTalk, ThruText, etc)
- Ability to work on some weekends and some evenings
Plus / Preferred (but not required):
- Bilingual in Korean, Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, or Arabic
- Previous phonebanking experience, but training and coaching will be provided
Duration: April 18 – June 21, 2022; accepted candidates will start immediately if start date has passed
Job Type: part-time
Hours: 15 hrs/week; flexible schedules
To Apply Applications are closed. Email your resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, “Hamkae Center Part-Time Canvasser” by March 28, 2022 for priority consideration. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis after the priority deadline of March 28, 2022 has passed. Please indicate on your resume if you are bilingual in an Asian language (and, if so, your level of proficiency).
About Hamkae Center
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York), and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People from a wide range of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.