The Operations and Development Coordinator will manage financial systems and records in a timely and accurate way, provide assistance with grant reporting and compliance, and support overall fundraising. This new position at Hamkae Center will also play a critical role in strengthening internal administration and making smoother our transition to becoming an independent 501(c)(3) organization. Although Hamkae Center staff are currently working remotely, this position will include some in-office clerical work and paperwork processing.
Financial management (40%)
- Work with leadership to identify and secure an outsourced financial management vendor and audit/tax preparation vendor.
- Manage the outsourced finance and accounting firm, audit firm, and tax preparer to
- Record transactions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and close the books for Hamkae Center monthly
- Process accounts payable and receivable in accordance with established accounting policies and procedures on a weekly basis
- Prepare monthly executive summaries and present monthly financial statement to Hamkae Center leadership monthly
- Prepare executive summaries and present financial statements quarterly to the Board of Directors
- Prepare financial reports for grant applications
- Conduct the annual close process
- Complete annual audit
- File the annual IRS Form 990 and other required tax forms for Hamkae Center
- Support Hamkae Center management and the outsourced accounting firm to develop and present an annual budget for board approval each year and track actuals versus the board approved budget each quarter.
- Support Hamkae Center management and the outsourced accounting firm to develop forecasts each month to manage cash flow and ensure revenue & expenditure align with program, management, and fundraising objectives.
- Assist with developing and implementing financial administrative systems, controls, policies, and procedures.
- Train staff on financial systems, controls, policies and procedures.
- Provide support to the Growth & Operations Team Lead to implement events and campaigns determined by internal fundraising roadmap, including but not limited to annual fundraiser, donor cultivation events, and Giving Tuesday.
- Accurate recording of financial and other gifts in internal Hamkae Center database
- Maintain timely communication, including gift acknowledgement and appreciation, with donors and sponsors.
- Manage and maintain databases for all special events, participants and donors.
Grant Administration (20%)
- The Services & Outreach team manages a portfolio of 6 grants currently. The portfolio is made up largely of government and non-profit organizational grants. Specific grants administrative support for the team includes: Assist with report preparation, including but not limited to data collection, data entry and analysis.
- Prepare workplans to ensure timely submission of reports, reimbursement
- requests, and other grant-related documents.
- Across the organization, this position will maintain a grants management calendar (proposals and reports) and may assist with grant proposal preparation and submission.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and regular Service & Outreach Team meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of Hamkae Center team
- Carefully track time and communications to ensure appropriate assignment to c3 or c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Being a thought partner to Team Leads and Director on new programming/campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in the community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together;
- Detail-oriented and organized: ability to maintain accurate records, track and meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills: able to prepare written and verbal reports and presentations
- Demonstrated experience of 1+ years of managing vendors
- Demonstrated experience of 1+ year of experience in non-profit (preferred) or business bookkeeping, accounting, or fiscal management, which may include volunteer experience.
- Collaborative: works well with others or in a team and external partners
- Comfortable with numbers: able to record, analyze, and provide interpretation of numerical data.
- Learner-mindset: solutions-oriented and takes initiative to address challenges
- Proficient in Excel and experience with work processing, slide presentations, general internet use, and capacity to learn required external databases.
- Driver’s license and access to car; access to stable internet connection for remote work
- 1+ years of fundraising experience
Location: Northern Virginia (must be able to travel to and work from either the Centreville or Annandale office when required)
Job Type: full-time
Reports to: Growth & Operations Team Lead
Pay + Benefits: $49-52K (commensurate w/ experience). Primarily telework position. Full health, dental, and vision insurance. Also, paid time off, vacation, sick days (if you, a partner, or a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close December 25 – January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
To Apply Applications are closed. Send resume, 3 references, and a cover letter explaining why you would be a great manager to outsourced vendors to Sookyung Oh (email@example.com) with the heading “Operations and Development Coordinator.”
About Hamkae Center
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York), and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People from a wide range of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.