Hamkae Center is seeking three (3) Vaccine Ambassadors to work with Asian American community members towards vaccine equity in Virginia. They will build and maintain community relationships, provide in-language vaccine education, promote vaccine opportunities and our other community services, and empower individuals to become community spokespeople. They will also assist with creating accessible outreach and educational materials.
This position reports to the Public Health Program Coordinator, as part of the Services & Outreach Team.
Outreach and Community Education (50%)
- Educate the community on current vaccine information and news
- Build and maintain relationships with local Asian American businesses, organizations, and places of worship
- Dispel misinformation about both COVID-19 and flu, as well as their vaccines
- Develop outreach promotional materials and assist the Public Health Program Coordinator in conducting outreach (both in-person and remotely)
- Assist with identifying, setting up, and tabling at community outreach events
- Participate in phone-banking, door-to-door, and hotspot canvassing.
- Maintain appropriate records of outreach and engagement interactions.
- Provide support around recruitment and training of community spokespeople.
Service Provision (30%)
- Provide in-language support for setting up vaccine appointments with community members
- Follow up with community members who receive health referrals/services from the Public Health Program Coordinator
- Maintain appropriate records of service provision
- Support the Public Health Program Coordinator with updating internal resources and staying up-to-date with vaccination/testing sites, research, among other administrative tasks.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, as appropriate
- Attend team meetings with fellow team members and supervisor
- Work with other team members on proj
- Represent Hamkae Center at press conferences and meetings as appropriate
- Being a thought partner to Public Health Program Coordinator and other Service & Outreach team members
- Other duties as assigned
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice for Asian Americans in Virginia. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together
- Multilingual in English and Asian language with professional working fluency in speaking, writing, and reading
- Mandarin Chinese, Tagalog, Hindi, Korean, Vietnamese, Urdu preferred
- Have a public health or social work background
- Strongly preferred: bachelor’s degree; minimum: associates degree
- Experience working with AAPI communities
- Experienced working with and building relationships with folks from diverse backgrounds
- Open to learning and new experiences
- Flexibility/adaptability with changing priorities
- Able to work in team environments
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Be fully vaccinated (COVID-19 vaccine; preferably flu vaccine as well)
- Over 18 years old
- Open to work on occasional weekends and evenings
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Live in Northern Virginia, Central Virginia, or Hampton Roads
Plus / Preferred:
- Community outreach or volunteer outreach experience
- Experience with Microsoft 365, Canva, Hustle (P2P texting), Powerbase, and/or similar programs
- Experience with creating social media materials
- Comfortable speaking in public
- Customer service skills and ability to maintain professionalism during discussions around sensitive topics
Location: Northern Virginia, Central Virginia, or Hampton Roads
Job Type: part-time
Duration: Feb 1 – June 14, 2022
Hours: 20-25 hrs/week
Benefits: Vacation and sick days; travel and meal reimbursements (that meet conditions).
Send resume and cover letter to Sarah Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Please write in the subject line: “Vaccine Ambassador Application”. In your cover letter, please write about why this position interests you.
About Hamkae Center
Hamkae Center organizes Asian Americans in Virginia to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, Hamkae Center works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change. We are the Virginia affiliate of the NAKASEC Network. Other members include HANA Center (Illinois), Woori Center (Pennsylvania), MinKwon Center for Community Action (New York), and Woori Juntos (Texas).
Hamkae Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People from a wide range of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.